Every fall, Ocean City celebrates all things Halloween; usually it involves parties, parades and runs. This year… the fun continues with the Great Pumpkin Race, a great, creative way to really get into the spirit.
Picture this: hundreds of hand-made painted, carved, various shaped pumpkins on wheels racing to the finish line with a perfect October beach-y fall background. Yep, that’s pretty much what the Great Pumpkin Race looks like here on the good ole OCMD boardwalk.
This is a favorite pastime of locals, as they line up on the sand near North Division Street to watch the multiple races as the pumpkin race cars dart downhill.
The free event will start at 1PM and prizes will be awarded in each division as well as for creativity.
Registration starts at 11AM.
The Great Pumpkin Race
Directions and Regulations:
- Design and construct your pumpkin race car from a single real pumpkin in any shape and size.
- Pumpkin Race Cars can be whole or carved; outrageously decorated or just like it came from the patch.
- Insert two independent axels through your pumpkin and attach any type or size wheels to the axels.
- You cannot attach your pumpkin to anything that creates a chassis of any kind such as skateboards, wagons, toys, strollers… you get the picture.
- Your pumpkin must be powered by the gravity from the downhill slope of the race track; no fans, motors, explosives, pyrotechnics or pushing.
- Pumpkins will race side by side, there is no penalty if pumpkins bump or collide with other pumpkins, the race walls or anything else.
- Pumpkins will be inspected at check in and any race cars not built to race regulations could be placed in the “MOD” (made own directions) division.
- Race divisions may be created at check-in based on the total number of participants and race official’s discretion.
- Special prizes for race winners plus prizes for creativity, decorations and much more.
- Most importantly, have fun and be creative.
Don’t forget to check out our other Ocean City Halloween articles for more information on Octoberfest here on the shore! #countingdowntohalloween